24 junho 2008

British at action: taking lessons


My mission is expressed in the last paragraph of this post. Catholic people, and Portuguese people in particular, are at their best when they have a sense of mission. I am no exception.

In this crusade of mine, some two weeks ago a new question came to my mind: how does sex life compare in Catholic and Protestant countries? This seems to be an obviously difficult question, as sex is a mostly intimate matter. And a very important one, as sex is a source of great enjoyment in human life.

I started out with the quantitative part of it in this post, followed a few days later by this one. My intuition was telling me that Catholics have more sex than Protestants. Actually, I blamed the recent, drastic fall in Portuguese birth rates mainly on the fact that the Portuguese were having less sex now when compared with the generation of their parents. This was the result of Portugal having been importing Protestant culture over the last twenty years or so.

I was drawing on a distinction that I have introduced myself and which seems to me more and more meaningful, namely that Protestant people privilege freedom of expression whereas Catholic people privilege freedom of action. Based on this distinction I went farther in my last few posts to establish that the quality of sex as well is much better in Catholic than in Protestant countries, specially anglo-saxonic countries as these are the countries we mostly try to imitate in Portugal.

Looking today for some empirical support for my thesis over the internet, I found this.

Sem comentários: