30 janeiro 2008

just can´t wait


Rui,

Are you back? I believe you just told me a few days ago that you would be back on Wednesday, right? We are anxious to have you with us again. I will be quite pleased, now that we are a crowd at Portugal Contemporâneo, to arrange a welcome party for you. Just drop me a word when you arrive at Francisco Sá Carneiro (Portuguese people like big names, don´t they?) International Airport.

I have recently received some criticism by a number of Portuguese bloggers, such as this one, because I am writing em estrangeiro. I cant´t help it, Rui. I got used to writing em estrangeiro and now it is difficult to change gears and write in Portuguese again, specially after you said that I do write an erudite English (did you mean um Inglês liceal and, if so, is that an offense?).

As you might know, most Portuguese intellectuals are attracted to what seems strange and foreign to them and particularly to what they do not understand. It occurred to me that by writing em estrangeiro I would become a highly respected thinker in this country. There are already some encouraging signs. A number of bloggers are already quoting me em estrangeiro. I just can´t wait the day I will be quoted by Expresso (em estrangeiro, I mean).

Now Rui, may I tell you that I am quite happy with our new fellow bloggers Joaquim and Ricardo. They started big, Joaquim talking about God, Ricardo talking about money. What a combination. To the best of my knowledge, there is only one institution in Western civilization, other than Portugal Contemporâneo (that is, the two of us), which could put together God and money with such an enormous success. It was the Catholic Church. We are thus in good company. CAA should be trembling. (All in all, it seems to me that he behaved quite well during your absence).

Sem comentários: