29 junho 2008

Catholic Spain


Tonight I'll be a fan of Catholic Spain. She will win over Protestant Germany. It is easier to say it now, but if you believe me, may I say that I have been predicting from the beginning that Spain would win the Euro-2008. And from the moment Portugal was put out of the tournment, I became an engaged Spanish fan.
I believe Catholic culture is strongly on the rise as measured against Protestant culture. For the first time in my life I had some significant hope that the Portuguese could make it in the Euro-2008. They had a very talented group of players, most of them with international experience, one of them the best in the World. This was a very important factor for Portugal. Had the majority of them only played in Portugal, and they would have lacked self-confidence and personality as they would have been subjected in their own country to the permanent, demoralizing bad-mouthing that is typical of their culture. This is what in the past tended to produce Portugal's well known tremideiras in international competition. Above the talent, international experience and self-confidence of the players, towered the unquestionable authority of couch Scolari. This was a very strong combination indeed - the stronger I can remember since 1966 with the likes of Manuel da Luz Afonso, Otto Glória and Eusébio.
Some of these arguments apply to Spain with added emphasis. First, Aragones with his age and experience is the perfect authority for this Catholic-country team. Spain would have never made it to the finals with a couch the age of Germany's. Second, the Spanish team includes many talented players as well. Third, the Spanish League is one of the most competitive and international, if not the best, of all European Leagues. Add to this the fact that I am strongly persuaded that Catholic culture is on the rise against Protestant culture, and you will understand why I believe that tonight Spain will easily beat Germany.

Sem comentários: