27 junho 2008

This man is ...


A couple of days ago I was at a bookstore in the city of Porto, where I live. I was looking at the Law section, which I always check in search for some personal enjoyment. By sheer chance I opened a book by Professor Paulo Ferreira da Cunha, which I have been quoting below. According to the back cover of the book: "Neste livro, Paulo Ferreira da Cunha - prestigiado Catedrático da Faculdade de Direito da Universidade do Porto - aprofunda o conhecimento do Direito Constitucional, especificamente dos principais direitos necessários ao uso da cidadania (...)."

As I opened the book, I noticed the author's taste for literary style; I noticed also the big words, some of which instantly hit a chord on me, such as diuturnamente, contemporaneidade, post-moderno and modernidade. I saw the numerous quotations and the extensive bibliographies at the end of each chapter, some of the books quoted in German. Among Portuguese authors cited, António Manuel Hespanha figured proeminently.

Very much impressed by such a display of knowledge, I searched for some original ideas of the author himself. I could find a few, such as this, this and this. And they seemed to me quite impressive as well. How could I have missed the possibilitity of God revealing Himself to mankind through traffic accidents? How could I have never thought of the role of taxi-drivers in spreading racism and xenophobia? How could I have failed to notice the influence of Felipão and questionable penalty kicks on the common fate of the Portuguese people?
.
I decided to buy the book, a whole wealth of knowledge and style with the great added benefit of all being packed in a manual of Constitutional Law. As I was driving back home, I stopped at a red light. Then in sheer shock I exclaimed to myself: "Oh my God! This man is Modernista, the blog commentator!" .

Sem comentários: