29 maio 2008

found the answer


For someone who is interested in the study of human societies the blogosphere is a gift of God. It is a kind of laboratory regarding human behaviour. In a truly open blog as Portugal Contemporaneo (Rui's courtesy), one can observe human beliefs and actions, and formulate and test hypotheses about them, something which would not be possible otherwise.

Some two weeks ago, I noticed a massive star-rating in my posts (low star-ratings, I must say), compared to what is usual in this blog. Add to this the fact that it is not uncommon that some eight to ten one star-ratings often occur within a very short period of time. A couple of days ago I had the opportunity to discuss the issue with Rui and we had a great time at it. This could be a very serious issue indeed, as it affects my reputation and I might go down in history as the most unpopular blogger of the 21st century. We both agreed that it was concerted or group action.

The next question was which group or lobby in the blogosphere was after me. Several possibilities were raised: the Jewish lobby, the atheistic lobby, the Blasfemias lobby with Cristina Keller as commander-in-chief (obviously suggested by myself), the gay lobby, the extreme-left lobby, the atheistic lobby, the anti-writing-em estrangeiro lobby and the anti-salazaristic lobby.

To test one of those possibilities (may I say this was Rui's favoured one; mine is the atheistic, anti-catholic lobby) I placed this post totally out of context with what I have been writing recently. So far I consider the test inconclusive.

I must admit, though, that the particular group of people who take the time and trouble to act in concert to rate massively my posts is not, and never was, my main concern. My key question was different: why would people act in group to rate posts in the blogosphere? Why in group? I lived several years of my life in a foreign, Protestant country, and this behaviour in group would be totally unthinkable there. Why in Portugal would it be different?

I think I have found the answer to this question. It is here.

Sem comentários: