29 março 2008

a sorceress of reason


I hesitated about the title of this post: a sorceress of reason, reality is reality, a radical liberal at work, a rational morality.

Now, the post:

"Ayn went on talking for a very long time, amplifying her argument in such a way that the validity of what she was saying seemed more and more self-evident. She was a sorceress of reason. (...)"

"This converstation [involving Ayn Rand, her husband Frank, her soon-to-be lover Nathaniel Branden and his wife, Barbara] took place in November 1954 (...) Ayn´s and my cruelty did not lie in falling in love not even, primarily, in pursuing an affair. The cruelty lay in how we dealt with the matter: our lack of genuine empathy or compassion for Frank and Barbara's predicament. (...)"

"Ayn's and my affair began - sexually - five months later, in January 1955. (...)".
.
"It was obvious that some part of [Barbara's] motivation in agreeing to the affair was expiation for not loving me more (...)".
.
"Some months after the affair had begun, I asked Ayn how Frank was taking it (...)".

"Often Frank would be leaving as I arrived; we would shake hands. Ayn would kiss him good-bye, and he would depart. She could not understand why this sometimes left me strained and on edge for the next hour or two. 'What's the matter with you today?' she would ask, and when I would explain, she would say, 'Well, I don't like it either, but reality is reality'.
What neither of us suspected, and what I would not learn until many years later, was that Frank's usual destination when he left the apartment was a nearby bar - and that he was becoming an alcoholic".
(Nathaniel Branden, Judgement Day: My Years with Ayn Rand, Boston: Houghton Mifflin Co., 1989, pp. 156-66)

Sem comentários: