30 março 2008

Jews and atheism



For a number of years I have been noticing that an inordinate amount of books published on atheism are written or edited by Jewish authors. At some point in time I even formulated the hypothesis that the Judaic religion produced a more than proportional share of atheists relative to other religions.

Soon I would discard this hypothesis. If anything, Judaism produces proportionately fewer atheists than other religions. The reason is the extraordinary strength of religious bonds among the Jewish people which enabled them to survive and prosper for millenia sometimes in the face of great adversity.

This led me to return to and make more prement my first question: how come, then, than a more than proportionate number of atheistic authors are Jews? I think that I now have the answer which I submit to my readers as a thesis.

First, try to look at the contents of the books on atheism that are written or edited by Jewish authors (most of these are published in the US). You would expect that their attacks and ridicule on religion would be directed mainly at Judaism, if not for other reasons because, being their native religion, it is the one these authors know better.

You will be surprised, though. The attacks and ridicule on religion contained in those books are mostly, if not exclusively, directed at Christianity and Catholic Christianity in particular. Strange, isn't it?

Not so if you subscribe to my thesis:

Atheism has often been an intellectual disguise for Jews to attack and offend Christianity.


In other words, a fair number of Jewish authors who claim to be atheistic are not atheistic at all. That is simply the label they put on themselves to feel free to attack Christianity and the Catholic Church.

Sem comentários: