04 junho 2008

Paulo Vallada


I met Paulo Vallada for the first time some twenty years ago at a conference in a hotel at Póvoa do Varzim. He was in his sixties, some thirty years my senior. He was a well known man in the city of Oporto, descending from a distinguished family of merchants, one of the last members of an aristocratic, liberal elite that gave the city her liberal reputation. Paulo Vallada also served as mayor of the city for several years.

I was a guest speaker at the conference in the afternoon session. When I arrived at the hotel in mid-morning Paulo Vallada was making his presentation. The country had just joined the European Union and he was a wise and traveled man. He knew that if we were to be successful within the EU many things would have to change in our culture and our way of doing things. Thus, he chose as his topic that morning the tendency of the Portuguese to act erractically and anarchically, our lack of discipline and sense of organization, our propensity for improvisation and short-term solutions which, according to him, would make for a poor work ethic within the European Union.

He talked about these issues for more than a hour before a silent audience. He spoke without any help from written notes. His talk was utterly spontaneous. He was so impressed with his own words that, on occasions, he would make big gestures and would get emotional to the point that he even left a couple of tears slip from his eyes. It was obvious to me that he had not given any prior thought to what he was saying that morning to the conference.

As his presentation came to an end and a period was opened for questions, I rose from the audience and said:

-Senhor Engenheiro, I quite agree with all of your points. The Portuguese people do not prepare for their work, they are careless, unorganized and undisciplined at what they do, and they always end up with improvisation. You have just provided solid evidence for that. Your presentation was sheer improvisation.

A heavy silence fell on the conference room. To break the situation the chairman adjourned the conference for lunch. As I got up from my seat all eyes in the room seemed to be focused on me. I had some experience on how to deal with such situations. I found an excuse to drive to Oporto and have lunch at home, while all other conferencists stayed in the hotel for lunch.

When I came back for the afternoon session, as I parked my car, Paul Vallada was waiting for me at the hotel entrance. He was a big man and had an imposing figure. He approached me, put his arm around my shoulders, and said:

-I want to tell you that I think you were right this morning.

-Thank you, Sir - I replied.

From this short exchange, though, I believe both of us got the instant feeling that we would be friends for the rest of our lives. His was a most exceptional attitude in our culture. The normal attitude would have been for him to resent me for the rest of his life.

Soon I would become a regular visit at his family home at Foz do Douro. I got to know his family and he got to know mine. Over the last ten years of his life the two of us would get together for lunch once every two or three months at Oporto English Club. He died two years ago. A street in the city now bears his name. I still miss his friendship, his wisdom, his sense of humour and, above all, his gentlemanship.

Sem comentários: