06 abril 2008

the democratic definition


Two posts below I provided a definition of freedom. It is a definition that represents a great ideal for mankind and it actually contributed to lay the foundations of an entire civilization: to do what has to be done, regardless of personal consequences. In the post just below I illustrated my freedom hero.

I would like to return to the original definition for a moment, but now to the qualifications I placed in brackets because those qualifications virtually amount to the alternative, vulgar definition of freedom.

According to such definition, freedom is my ability to do as I like, which generally means whatever brings me a benefit. Even though a restriction is sometimes placed on this definition - namely, that my freedom should not not impose harm on or restrict the freedom of others -, the important point is that this kind of freedom even cats, dogs, elephants and rats enjoy. Here is one example of this kind of freedom at work.

This is the vulgar, democratic, current definition of freedom. Do you think that a civilization can be built on this conception of freedom? I do not think so. Actually, I believe that if we subscribe to it en masse we will end up with no freedom at all.

Sem comentários: