26 julho 2008

he worked hard to sink them both

I would like to restate the purpose of my posts on Kant over the last few weeks. Briefly, my thesis is that the periods of crisis which occurred in Portugal over the last three hundred years were the result of ideas imported from Northern Europe (and lately, from North America as well). The present crisis is no different. For want of a better term, I have been using the term Protestant to group the Northern European countries, as distinct from the Southern European, Catholic countries.

My immediate purpose has been to compare the ideas of Protestantism with those of Catholicism. This led me to elect Kant as the most representative thinker of Protestantism as Kant has often been called the Philosopher of Protestantism. My comparison between Kant and Catholicism is thus meant to be a comparison between Protestant culture and Catholic culture with regard to some of their basic tenets. If my thesis is correct, Kant is the arch intellectual adversary of Portuguese, mostly Catholic culture.

It has been argued that the main purpose of Kant's philosophical system was to save religion from the rampages of the Enlightenment. I believe this is only partly true. He was not intent upon saving any kind of religion. If anything, he was intent upon saving anti-Catholic religion, that is Protestantism from the attacks of reason. As for Catholicism and Catholic culture - that is, our culture - he worked hard to sink them both.

Sem comentários: